Bachelor of Science in Mathematics (BSMath) is a four year degree program designed to give students a background in mathematical modeling, scientific computing, and the various modern applications of mathematics.
The BSMath program covers major areas in pure mathematics complemented by extensive exposure to mathematical applications in statistics, operation research, and actuarial science. More importantly, it teaches students the proper use of problem-solving approaches to investigate and understand mathematical content and analyze mathematical statements and construct proofs/solutions.
What skills, traits and attitude will help you succeed in this course?
- Analytical skills – the ability to pay attention to details, construct logical arguments and follow complex reasoning to solve both complicated and uncomplicated mathematical problems.
- Problem-solving skills – during the course of your study, you will deal with complex mathematical problems and scenarios, you must have the ability to present a solution clearly, making your assumptions explicit.
- Organizational skills – The ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures, mathematical operations).
- Reading Comprehension – the ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing; this skill is very important because mathematical problems are not always presented in numbers/formulas but rather in written or situational form.
- Computer Literacy – the ability to use and manipulate mathematical software to solve problems; knowledge of word-processing, of both text and mathematics.
- Patience – you will encounter many complicated mathematical concepts and problems, sometimes you will find it difficult to find the solution for specific problems therefore patience is very important.